Friday, August 3, 2012

Thankful For This Life

I just finished my August newsletter. (You can go to the sidebar and add your email to subscribe if you don't already receive it) I had the pleasure of writing it in a coffee shop where I have a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean.  My friend told me that screen writers and pulitzer prize winning writers frequent this place.  Add to that list a somewhat culture shocked missionary in the corner sweating over her monthly newsletter.  My life is truly odd sometimes.

I have about a month left before I return to Ukraine.  When I look back to last March, I felt like I had arrived from the dark side of the moon.  I had not seen sun for like six months and lived through the coldest weather I had ever experienced. (-30C)  My cat died and I sprained my back lifting my bag at Borispol.  Before I left, I was questioned by border guards as I sat carefully in their office while spasms in my back, arms and legs contracted painfully. (They were very gracious and kind to me but it's always an intimidating experience.)  When my family arrived home from the airport, my parents played their answering machine and found out that my grandmother had been admitted to the hospital earlier that day for a stroke.  Being close, we felt guilty that no one was with her at the time.  I spent my first day stateside in the hospital with my grandmother. I had so much culture shock I was having anxiety attacks at times.

Fortunately time, rest and a bit of physical therapy healed most of what I went through and I think my sense of humor also helps tremendously.  Those were the hardest days and since then, life has evened out quite a bit.

I wasn't sure what it would be like staying home for such a long period of time and was kind of intimidated by the thought of it, but now that time has passed, I realize that the Lord did want me home this long to reconnect with family and friends and to have a time to rest and regroup.  I realize now that I don't have to think about everything from either one culture's point of view or the other and feel the tons of anxiety that comes with having to decide which culture to relate to.  I have a multi-cultural life in a globalized world and it's all good.  I have friends who live in Palm Springs and friends who live in tiny villages in Ukraine.  Thanks to the internet, I have social media friends from all over the world that I can connect to through my computer.  (Is there a world clock app?  I need one.)

The world is changing everywhere and it's okay.  We're gonna get through.  Everything is going to be okay.

Be thankful for your life.

2 comments:

Crown of Beauty said...

Hi, I love this post. I agree with what you said about not having to look at everything from a particular culture's point of view. In a sense we are all multicultural. I'm Filipino but many times it seems like I'm not really Filipino in my thinking... The thought you shared really strikes me deeply.

So sorry to hear about your cat, did she die from the cold?

And that you hurt your back and was questioned at the border. So many reasons to have a reverse culture shock even when re-entering your very own homeland.

I am thinking of you, Michelle, and your unique set of circumstances... certainly ordained by the wise God who holds our lives in His hands.

If ever you find yourself in my country, let me know. I'd love to meet you face to face.

Blessings,
Lidia

Michelle said...

Lidia, yes, thank you! I would love to meet you too! I have Filipino friends here in the states! I would love to visit your part of the world someday! :)

My cat had liver failure. :(