Last week I finished the book, Same Kind of Different As Me
which is about the friendship between a rich art dealer and a homeless man.
The book highlights some things that I've learned in this life about relating to homeless people.
The number one piece of advice I would give to someone is to just talk to them.
Just talk to them without making a big thing about their situation and try to connect with them as you would anyone else.
You would be surprised how this can encourage them to no ends. Most people walk by them ignoring them which makes them feel invisible and takes away their connection to humanity. If you breach that wall, you make them feel human again. They are usually lonely and think no one cares about them.
Try it and let me know how it goes. It won't only change their life, but it will change yours as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment