I haven't turned on my TV and watched news in so long that I can't remember the last time it happened. In fact, I have stopped watching TV. I only use my TV to watch DVDs.
I haven't picked up a Kyiv Post, (our local english language newspaper) in so long that I can't remember the last time I read one either.
I read the news headlines on maybe a couple of internet news sites during the week. I skip those on Saturdays and Sundays. The world does not stop. I rarely click through a headline to an article. I usually can get the gist of what is going on in the world just by reading the headlines. I do notice articles posted on Facebook and Twitter. Again, I rarely click through to read them. I just read the headlines. Sometimes I just ignore Twitter because I've subscribed to too many news feeds. I need to clean up my twitter account big time.
The weird thing is, if you actually make an effort to pay less attention to news in our information overload culture, you will STILL know what is going on because you will still be made aware of what is going on around you. I call it "news osmosis" That's all the news I need to take in daily, otherwise it's information overload time.
What I've noticed about my news reading/watching habit is this. Less news = more time to live. Occasionally there's that disaster that we all keep up with, but for the most part, not much is happening day to day that's actually going to affect you.
When I visit my family in the states the news is on in their house from 8am to 11pm every day, except of course, for daily breaks that feature Judge Judy and/or her various TV show judge off springs. I've noticed that the constant steam of negative news I am subjected to (because let's face it, nothing positive ever really is presented) really gets on my nerves and if I pay attention to it I start to feel very negative.
Hence my motto: Less news = more life!
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."........John 14:27 (NIV)
1 comment:
Michelle, I cannot imagine having the news blaring over the tv all day long. I prefer to have the music playing...
Yes, negative news has a way of getting into our blood streams.
Lovely photo. We have that plant here too. We call it "alambrillo" - alambre is a spanish word for wire, because the black stem looks like wire, doesn't it?
Love and blessings...
Lidj
Post a Comment