Friday, December 30, 2011

The New Year!

The New Year is upon us. How do I know? I'm flat out exhausted from running around like crazy trying to do too many things! The week up to New Year's Day in Ukraine is always stressful and busy with everyone trying to get as much done as possible both for the holiday and also because life slows to a crawl for the next couple of weeks if not the rest of the month!

New Year's is THE big family holiday in Ukraine much like Christmas is in the western world. Christmas trees are put up for New Year's and presents are exchanged. Grandfather Frost and his side kick the Snow Maiden make lots of appearances and pass out gifts to the children.

Markets get busy selling freshly cut "Yolki" or Christmas trees and decoration stands multiply. Lots of Ukrainians from the outside of Kyiv come to the center to sell food. The prices of food go sky high the few days before New Year's so buy early if you can!

As this tired 2011 year draws to a close I am feeling mixed emotions. I sometimes feel a bit wary and fearful. The world around us seems to be getting crazier and more unstable. The unknown future looms large with either positive or negative possibilities. Other times I feel at peace and know that God is in control and working all things for my good.

Here are a couple of verses that have been on my heart this week:

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!".....I Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)

and

"Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing? Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.".......Isaiah 43:18,19 (NIV)

HAPPY 2012!!!!!

No comments: